5thRound.com

Official UFC 117 discussion thread

Chat it up about the world's premier MMA promotion, the UFC.

Official UFC 117 discussion thread

Postby G-Rush » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Let's start talking about how bad Sonnen's gonna kick Anderson's ass! Crickets and tumbleweed ...
G-Rush

Re: Official UFC 117 discussion thread

Postby BJJGorilla » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:03 am

Sonnen is a well rounded mixed martial artist. He is a good wrestler, good stand up and brutal ground and pound. I think the deciding factor is Sonnen's toughness. We all know that he can take a pounding as well as give it out. He is still dangerous after taking punishment. His conditioning is top notch. If there is anyone at 185 that can lay an ass kicking on Silva it is Chael Sonnen. We cant count out the champ but here is my prediction: Sonnen wins in the third round by TKO!
BJJGorilla

Postby Tim Ngo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:26 pm

BJJGorilla wrote:Sonnen is a well rounded mixed martial artist. He is a good wrestler, good stand up and brutal ground and pound. I think the deciding factor is Sonnen's toughness. We all know that he can take a pounding as well as give it out. He is still dangerous after taking punishment. His conditioning is top notch. If there is anyone at 185 that can lay an ass kicking on Silva it is Chael Sonnen. We cant count out the champ but here is my prediction: Sonnen wins in the third round by TKO!

Chael Sonnen is the greatest mouthpiece the UFC has ever had but some may still be skeptical about him as a fighter. His first fight against Paulo Filho has to be a perfect example, we'll see how he does this coming Saturday. I'll give him all the credit in the world if he beats Anderson Silva, and that's a BIG if.
Tim Ngo

Postby BJJGorilla » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:47 am

Tim Ngo wrote:
BJJGorilla wrote:Sonnen is a well rounded mixed martial artist. He is a good wrestler, good stand up and brutal ground and pound. I think the deciding factor is Sonnen's toughness. We all know that he can take a pounding as well as give it out. He is still dangerous after taking punishment. His conditioning is top notch. If there is anyone at 185 that can lay an ass kicking on Silva it is Chael Sonnen. We cant count out the champ but here is my prediction: Sonnen wins in the third round by TKO!

Chael Sonnen is the greatest mouthpiece the UFC has ever had but some may still be skeptical about him as a fighter. His first fight against Paulo Filho has to be a perfect example, we'll see how he does this coming Saturday. I'll give him all the credit in the world if he beats Anderson Silva, and that's a BIG if.

Well it didn't go quite as I thought but any doubts about Sonnen backing up his trash talk swhould be quelched. Sonnen won 4 rounds of that fight and was dominating when he got caught. Silva had no answer for the take-down and just like Hughes vs Royce Gracie we saw good old fashioned american wrestling dominate on the ground against black belt jiu-jitsu. Sonnen got caught because he is relentless. He could have taken a page from Silva's book and coasted the last round when he knew he had the fight won but he kept pushing and got a little sloppy and got caught in a white-belt BJJ move. All that being said, hats off to Silva for hanging there and finding a way to win. All I have left to say is REMATCH!!!!
BJJGorilla

Return to UFC: Ultimate Fighting Championships